His First Visit To His New School

Kyle starts school in just a few days!  He will be starting 6th grade at a brand new school, in a new school district.  

Monday, July 31, 2017

We Tried To Visit The Dentist

We Tried To Visit The Dentist

As you can probably tell from the blog title, our visit did not go as planned. First, let's start from the beginning.  


First Dental Visit



Kyle has only been to the dentist one other time (2014 or so).  I specifically picked that dentist because they "said" they offered sedation dentistry.  

I was excited!  

So when we got there, we were told that they do not offer it (even though I was told on the phone).  It was a big disappointment.  I was also sad to see that it was an overcrowded dentist office.  There were literally 20 other families crammed into the waiting area.  Once we were called back, almost every chair was filled with a (child) patient.  

We wanted sedation because we knew with Kyle's special needs, that he would not sit still.  We were able to get an x-ray and a very quick "cleaning."  They looked in his mouth and did their best to clean.  

I was working full time at the time and took time off of work so I could be there with Shannon to help watch Kyle.  However, soon after we got called in, Shannon took off to get breakfast.  That left me alone for the entire visit.  

As we were waiting to check out, Kyle was all over the place.  I managed to text Shannon and asked if he could come in and help.  

After that experience, I knew I should just go to dentist appointments on my own.  

Second Dental Visit

Fast forward to today!  

Last night I was thinking about Kyle starting school next week!  I figured we should get his dental visit out of the way while school was out (so he wouldn't have to miss school).  

We found out there is a dentist office right next to our apartment community that we could walk to!  I called this morning, not even expecting to get an appointment.  

I asked if they were taking new patients (they were)!  

I asked if they offer laughing gas (I found out that sedation requires another doctor to come in and perform the procedure).  They have laughing gas and a numbing agent!  

They also had an opening for this afternoon and I took it!  The appointment was for 1 PM.  I started getting ready around 11 AM or so.  I wanted time to put on makeup (which I haven't done much off this summer) and relax before getting Kyle ready.  
Even though we are literally a few minutes from the office, we left around 12:30 PM.  We arrived super early, so that gave me plenty of time to fill out the new patient paperwork.

We started with getting an x-ray.  He did great with that.

They tried the laughing gas but Kyle wouldn't keep the nose mask on.  She was able to look inside his mouth and count his teeth.

She tried cleaning his teeth and he wouldn't have that.  She was able to floss his teeth!

She brushing fluoride on his teeth and he wouldn't have that either.  He just wanted out of there.

They only charged us for the x-ray, which was nice.  The staff was very patient and understanding.  They were also accommodating and didn't try to rush Kyle.  They also said that if we want to try 15-minute appointments and do a little at a time, that we could do that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment