His First Visit To His New School

Kyle starts school in just a few days!  He will be starting 6th grade at a brand new school, in a new school district.  

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Open House

We went to Kyle's Open House at his school tonight.  We arrived super early before we were supposed to be there.  They had certain times you were supposed to be there based on your last name.  They had popsicles in the cafeteria for the kids but we didn't want him eating a popsicle (it would get all over the place).  We also went to the Gym, but all they had there was booths.  The only one we stopped at was one that wasn't asking for money.  I filled out the sign up sheet with our grocery store membership number, I guess the school gets credit for every purchase...  There was a booth to join the PTA, but it was $7 ($7 we don't have).  There was another booth to purchase t-shirts and sweatshirts with the school mascot and a yearbook table.  So I skipped all of those tables. 

We met his teacher and her two teacher assistants!  We filled out the application for free lunches!  They also gave us a list of school supplies he will need, which happens to be completely different from the supply list they have on the school website!  I am a little pissed, not at anyone, but at the situation.  If they had given us a school supply list weeks ago, I would have had time to use my coupons to buy everything.  Although, there are a few items that I need to return (glue sticks, crayons).  I am upset because my husband and I are both unemployed, it's not like we have jobs and have money just laying around to buy things on a whim. 

As his first day of school gets closer, I realized he doesn't even have enough clothes to last a week of school!  We're going to Walmart to buy some of the things on his supply and also more clothes for school.  Shannon said it best, "we'll get every thing that we can."

No comments:

Post a Comment