His First Visit To His New School

Kyle starts school in just a few days!  He will be starting 6th grade at a brand new school, in a new school district.  

Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Pockeful of Rocks, half a Bottle of Urine and Orange Fingers

Shannon and I woke up early today. Shannon still had to get the car packed, while he was doing that, I had to take care of Kyle and get him ready. However, Kyle still wasn’t up at 9am so I took a shower and by the time I was done, he was up and just playing around. When I got dressed and ready for my day, I took him downstairs for his breakfast. Since he was busy eating, I did a little last minute packing and cleaning up.

Since we had so much we were bringing in the car, my in-laws offered to drive over too. Keep in mind ~ we have a cell phone and they do not and we have the one set of keys and they do not. Not 5 minutes into the drive over to our new place, Shannon noticed the temperature gauge on the car was at “H.” So we pulled over to the first gas station and he poured water into it. Unfortunately that didn’t work (this has worked a few times before) because after only a few more minutes, we had to pull over at another gas station because the car starting humming and the temperature gauge was past “H.” Just before we pulled into the gas station, the car starting smoking. Luck must have been on our side because the gas station we pulled into had a “Complete Car Care Center attached! While this is going on, Shannon kept saying he wished that Kyle and me weren’t with him with all this car trouble. He didn’t want us to have to be stranded there since he didn’t mind waiting all day, he just didn‘t want his family to have to wait too.

Initially, the auto tech guy told us to wait 15 minutes while he cooled the car, then it was an estimated hour wait. It turned into 2 hours overall, they had to wait for a part that was 45 minutes away.

We were both worried this whole time because we had no way of calling my in-laws directly and also we had an appointment with the cable guy at noon. By 11:30am, Shannon suggested calling 411 to get the number to the apartment office (he left the papers with the phone numbers at the apartment). LOL I ended up calling the toll free number for 411 and quickly got the number to the apartment office. We told them to tell the cable guy we need to cancel our appointment with him and also to leave a note on our door (for my in-laws) that we had car trouble and would be late.

Thank goodness Kyle was really good during this whole ordeal. A little stubborn at times, but no tantrums no crying! Shannon and I took turns walking and holding Kyle in the parking lot. Kyle had a chance to sit with his dad on a pile of gravel and of course Kyle had to play in it and try to eat it. Nearby, there was a pile of broken cement/rock slabs so I sat on that. I saw a few rocks that I liked and put those in my pocket. They are to remind us of our journey over to our new place, plus they look really cool. I even saw a half a bottle of urine near where we sat down. LOL Finally, we pulled out the stroller and he sat in it--quietly, which is surprising because Kyle didn’t seem to like it last time I tried. Kyle also saw some caterpillars for the first time! Then he wanted to pick them up. LOL

Shannon and I never ate breakfast and it was near lunch time, so he suggested buying some chips and sodas so I told him to get the bugles (the chips that look like tornados). We let Kyle eat most of the bugles, Shannon only had a handful and I had a few as well. He bought nacho cheese flavor and that turned our fingers orange and Kyle had his mouth and hands covered in orange! LOL We ended up giving Kyle some of our soda, which we didn’t like doing and decided this would be one of the few times we would do this.

Shannon said the auto tech guys were really nice the whole time. So that was good. By 1:15pm, (two hours later), we were able to hit the road. We finally reached our new home an hour later. We found out that my in-laws never got the note! Shannon and I KNOW the office never left a note, we already know how flakey they are! =( They said they waited around for about an hour and after we never showed, they left to go eat and drive around a bit. When they returned and we were still not home, they stopped by the office and they ended up giving them the keys to our place (because they recognized my father-in-law from yesterday) -- which is probably a BIG “no-no” to do. We had just arrived when they were unloading their car. So they had no idea what happened until the office told them about the (so-called) note they left at the door. They unloaded the last of their car and ours and left a bit later. Since Kyle was confused as to what was going on, he was standing at the front door ready to leave. LOL So I pulled out some of his toys and let him play. He eventually got the idea that this is his new home. He ended up running and playing around with his toys all night. Shannon and I were unpacking here and there. I did most of the unpacking (which I did not mind doing) tonight since Shannon was exhausted from the move. He ended up making a quick trip to Walmart for some food and basic items we needed for our new place. Once the groceries were put away, he went to go pick up his sushi. We had agreed to have sushi for our first night in our new place.

Soon after my in-laws left, I called the cable guy to reschedule and he’s not available until Tuesday at 1pm. So we will be without cable/internet/home phone until then!

My in-laws ended up giving us their microwave and a set of lounge chairs and matching little table stand. They look perfect in our living room. The microwave came in handy because we were going to buy one.

After Kyle went to bed, Shannon wanted to hook up the TV to see if we get any cable channels. Luckily we do! We have about 100 channels, so at least I have something to do until Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment