His First Visit To His New School

Kyle starts school in just a few days!  He will be starting 6th grade at a brand new school, in a new school district.  

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Filling our time

I've been trying to find a variety of volunteer opportunities and even contacted a local "Autism Society" and they said to call a number and they would call "when they had opportunities available."  I felt like they were blowing me off.  I even emailed someone with Kyle's school.  A few months ago, they sent home a flyer asking for volunteers for various projects and it had an email address listed as well.  I emailed the contact person a few days ago and have yet to hear anything back!  I just don't understand why it's so hard to find VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES!  LOL

This afternoon, I saw a commercial for serve.gov with Obama encouraging American's to volunteer our time.  I quickly went to the website and did a search.  I found many opportunities and I even found opportunities that would interest Shannon.  There were two of them, one to volunteer at the Sheriff's Department and at the Police Department.  I emailed the Police Department lead to Shannon and explained why he should go for this volunteer opportunity.

Well, it turns out, after I listed my reasoning and thoughts on why he should volunteer at the Police Department, he ended up emailing them letting them know he was interested! 

2 comments:

  1. Coming over and following from the Blog Blessings blog hop at Thoughts of a Mother, Wife, and Daughter. ( ps. mae minerals is the bomb! )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had my most rewarding times as a volunteer. Enjoyed your post and stumbled it.

    ReplyDelete