His First Visit To His New School

Kyle starts school in just a few days!  He will be starting 6th grade at a brand new school, in a new school district.  

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Earth Day at the Park

It was so hot yesterday! Not only that, our air conditioner was not working. My in-laws are having a guy come out this morning to (hopefully) fix it. We had to sleep with the window open all night. We need to find our summer clothes or at least buy some new summer clothes.

We went to Earth Day at the park. We had a nice shady parking spot, which seemed to be the only good thing about it. There were a lot of people. Kyle had a chance to see lots of kid older and younger than him. He saw kids talking, and he started "talking" more when we got home. He did talk a bit at the park, but he has such a little voice. We saw animals and even showed them to Kyle. He was more interested in looking at the kids and sky. LOL I think he was unsure that he could pet the animals. I felt bad for the animals, they had at least 8 goats caged in a little area, they could barely move. From what I could see, I think they also had baby ducks or bunnies, but there as a huge crowd around them. There were people also hold snakes! Yikes!

I did get a free tree for my in-laws. I wasn't sure what type to get, so the lady just gave me a River Birch. They had a few other types and there were some people getting more than one! Anyway, the tree is a little one, it came bare root. My MIL put it in a bucket of water shortly after we brought it home, and it's in a pot for now. It literally looks like a big twig, so I hope it survives! The River Birch tree will looks like this:

I also got a free plant. I think it's a vegetable plant, but not sure what it is. It was the last one on the table and I asked the guy if that plant was "spoken for." He replied, "it's for a small child." To me, that meant it was "reserved." So I walked away. Then I turn around and he's offering the plant to my son! Of course, I was shocked! I thought it was "reserved" for another "small child" as he stated. So that made me mad, why didn't he ask if I had a "small child" if the plant wasn't taken??? And why would you hand a small plant to a 3 year old? He wouldn't hand the plant to me and I didn't dare put my hand out to take it (he seemed so against me having the plant). I let Shannon take the plant.

Anyway, they had about 10 booths (from what we could see). The booths weren't labeled or marked. All we saw were big groups of people, no signs! So we really didn't know where to go. Shannon was also disappointed, they didn't have any food or drink. LOL He was going there expecting to get a burger or hotdogs. So, yes, Earth Day sucked. I am glad we got a free tree and a mystery vegetable plant for my in-laws. The event was poorly done, no signs on the booths, no food.

We are glad that Kyle had a chance to see other kids. He may have been a little overwhelmed but hopefully he picked up that he could talk. We also showed him the ducks in the park, and he of course, wanted to run up to them! Shannon had to hold him back.

2 comments:

  1. That's too bad it wasn't planned more carefully.

    Any chance you could get on the committee and help plan it next year :-)

    I think that would be fun to do

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome idea. :)

    I don't think I would have the time and commitment for something like that. Plus I don't know how long we'll be living here in this city.

    ReplyDelete