His First Visit To His New School

Kyle starts school in just a few days!  He will be starting 6th grade at a brand new school, in a new school district.  

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

We Disagree

My in-laws think that Kyle is autistic or have some form of it. I have read a few websites that list the "symptoms" and Kyle may exhibit one or two of the things listed. But his behavior sounds more like he has obsessive compulsive disorder. But Shannon would say I am a little OCD. LOL No, I have never been disagnosed, but I do like things a certain way. I like to run my household a certain way. I am not the type of OCD person who must turn on the faucet 62 times before I can wash my hands. Or I don't have to lock and unlock the door 95 times before I feel safe.

The only thing I see on this list, that Kyle does is he does like to open and close doors. He likes the doors closed if he sees one open. But he doesn't do this ALL DAY! Also, he doesn't really talk (he does try), rather he pulls us to what he wants. He has his ways of letting us know what he wants or what he wants to do!

My in-laws seem to think that after watching autistic kids on TV and seeing some behaviors that Kyle does means he is or may have a mild form of it. Shannon and I both agree that he is NOT autistic and we've gone through the list of symptoms and it sounds like Kyle is obsessive, rather than autistic. He likes to put things back in it's place or the way he found it. He believes that everything has a place and to put things back.

I told Shannon that we need to get on Medicaid so we can take him in for a 3 year check up and ask about Speech Therapy, hearing test, etc. My mother-in-law has offered to take Kyle (and me) to the doctor just to get him tested, but after talking to Shannon and thinking it through, I have a feeling she'll tell the doctors only the things she has noticed just to get the autistic disagnosis. Shannon also brought up a good point. My in-laws only see Kyle for a portion of the day. They don't see him when we put him to bed, and how he laughs and jumps up and down to play! Or they don't see him smile or even sit quietly and watch what we do on the computer. They only see him when he's outside playing in the backyard, going up and down the yard. Or when he's downstairs and has to close the doors that are open.

We both want to get on Medicaid just so we can take him to the doctor to PROVE to my in-laws that he isn't autistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment