His First Visit To His New School

Kyle starts school in just a few days!  He will be starting 6th grade at a brand new school, in a new school district.  

Friday, December 14, 2007

The Accent

We don't get to go out very much but when we do, I still get a kick out of the southern accent that I hear around here. In Kyle's playgroup, both moms and the coordinator have it. The way it sounds, is just so new to me. I wonder what they hear when I talk. Do I have an accent to them? Do I sound weird to them like they do with me?

One of the kids in Kyle's playgroup is named David. For me, I would say it as "day-vid" but with his mom's southern accent, she pronounces it "dye-vid." LOL I told my husband about it and we both started trying to say it that way and tried to say a few more words with the southern accent. LOL We are NOT by any means laughing AT the southern accent. We find it fascinating and just want to try to mimic the sound.

Then at the salon, all of the ladies had the accent. I felt like I was around a bunch of hillbillies, not that they were. I say this because that is the only time I would have heard any kind of accent, was on tv.

The people here are VERY laid back, relaxed, and are in no hurry. I think it takes a little longer to get things done around here too. We'll have to go to DMV next week and I have a feeling it will take just as long as in California! LOL California just has long lines, but here, the people work much slower. But the people here are VERY nice. I have not run into anyone who was rude. I get the impression everyone knows each other! Everyone works with someone's brother, sister, mom, dad, aunt, or uncle and they all know each other. There seems to be a church on every street too.

I finally found a radio station that I like. The first one I found on the drive here. I didn't like it because they would speed up the tempo of some songs and it ruined the whole song for me. So I did a search for radio stations in NC and found an extensive list of them. This radio station I happen to like also plays "gospel rap" on Sunday Mornings. LOL I have NEVER heard of that genre!

No comments:

Post a Comment