His First Visit To His New School

Kyle starts school in just a few days!  He will be starting 6th grade at a brand new school, in a new school district.  

Thursday, July 8, 2010

He's Diagnosed

Today I was off of work because Kyle had a doctor's appointment with the behavioralist.  The drive there was fun.  Shannon got a McDonald's breakfast meal, plus 2 hashbrowns (for Kyle and I) and a Mocha Frappe for me! 

The doctor asked us a bunch of questions for a survey to help her figure out what Kyle's diagnosis is.  She had read the surveys and evaluations I had sent in 3 months earlier to help determine what he has.  She said he's just before the middle of the autism spectrum.  She gave us some suggestions as to how to proceed, she suggested we make another Individual Education Plan (IEP) with the school, as well as look into ABA Therapy and Speech Therapy for Kyle.  I told her about the issues I am having with trying to reach someone from Speakability and she said "if they have that kind of customer service to just move on!"  In other words, find another place that offers speech therapy!  She also said that he would qualify for SSI, which I am glad she informed us of this.

When we got home, I went online to fill out the "pre-application" for SSI.  I am not sure if someone from the department will call us or we call them.  I will call them on my next day off if we don't hear from them before then.  I also looked up nearby ABA Therapy and Speech Therapy services for Kyle.  The doctor also gave us a list of places that offer those services.  I found all the information I needed on autismspeaks.org.

I also called work to get my schedule for the rest of the week.  I asked if I could have tomorrow off and she said that I would need to work the rest of the week because I will be on my own after that!  UGH!  I definitely miss working at Walmart for this reason.  At Walmart, there are always other cashiers to ask for help!  At Sears, you have to page someone overhead! 

I really wanted tomorrow off because we never went to the laundromat this past Monday like we always do.  So it's been almost 2 weeks since we've done laundry.  If I needed something cleaned, I had to hand wash our clothes in the bathtub and hang dry them.  Well, now my MIL said we could use the washing machine since it hasn't rained lately.  Their septic tank starts overflowing when it rains.  We're back to only doing one load of laundry a day.  Since I have to work tomorrow, Shannon will do a load of laundry for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment